††† ||The "GABETULA" files|| †††

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle... who subdues people under me." - Psalms 144:1-3

Thursday, August 17, 2006

2nd week of the come back

Hey guys, havent posted much this week. Well basically im starting my boring schedule and working to fit in some sport specific resistance training on my free days/nights so suggestions are welcome yea?

Today I shall talk about what I changed in my weekly training schedule and also the latest happenings in my training.


Monday
----------
Basically, I have added an extra training slot of "High performance kickboxing" to my Monday Training slot which means I now have a 2 trainings back to back from 7-9pm on Monday. In the near future, it will be increased to 3trainings back to back on just Monday alone but I shall reveal nothing about the 3rd training session which is highly confidential ;) . I wonder how I will be able to cope but then im still young and should push as far as I can go. Just gotta eat well rest well I guess.

So basically, in today's post I shall talk about the "High performance kickboxing" class.
I attended my first session on Monday as I ended school on time and reached Toa Payoh Safra early. I actually did not have the intention of joining in the class but to take a look at what was being done during the lesson.

So I opened the door, low and behold I saw a new face! His name is Alvin. Alvin was a sanda fighter at his peak from 15years ago and just got back into training recently and was in search of a school to practise at as his association no longer offers sanda lessons. Even after being out of action for 10years, Alvin(at 30+ age) still packs a mean punch and still has more gas as compared to "young,energetic" me. Perhaps he is using a 3.0litre or a 2.0 litre tank in his body while im still on the pathetic 1.0(or less) litre tank in my body. Sifu Mark on seeing me, asked me to join in the class as Alvin was the only student for the class and would do better having a partner. Since I figured I might as well spend the time wisely and get some training time in, I agreed and joined in.

Before going on to going through what we did during the session, let me first tell you what the 'High Performance Kickboxing'(HPKB in short) class is all about:

From Sifu's own mouth, HPKB is basically "JinMei" Muay Thai loosely translated to "Chinese-American" Kickboxing which uses JKD tactics and strategy using Muay Thai rules.

To be more precise, it is more of an 'in-fighting' method rather than an 'out-fighting' method which I have been used to while training in the JKD class for approximately a year now.(In case you guys don't know, 'in-fighting' refers to close range while 'out-fighting' refers to long range.) In the HPKB classs, it was generally using the middle and close range tactics in JKD combined with lots of close-ranged evasive, padwork drilling and conditioning as compared to the JKD class which mainly comprises of long-ranged padwork drilling and tactics learning. In other words as the name implies, high-performance and very physically demanding.

Now back to the routine done at the HPKB class:

Basically being the 1st lesson Alvin and I worked only on stances, footwork, padwork punching and the good old 'bob and weave' . The intensity of this class made my hands pretty sore and towards the end of the roughly 2minute round of padwork punching, I could feel my already pussy punches grow weaker and weaker with each punch. Although throughout the whole session all we did were just drills such as 'bob and weave' followed by hook and cross combinations.

Although this is not much of a description of the quality of the class, all I can say is that if you are currently doing JKD you should join in too if you have the chance as it is not a seperate art from JKD but can just be treated as 'additional' JKD training on the 'in-fighting' methods which are seldom emphasised on during the usual JKD class.

Tuesday
----------

Went down to Combat Academy for my 2nd session, today I was introduced to bagwork which is even more of a killer than padwork. I realised that practice DOES pay off. My clumsy and discouraging attempts at skipping at home proved useful when I was asked to do skipping and did not fare too badly as before. I also found out more about shadow boxing on how to throw punches properly from the instructor, Sascha. Although I feel that I did badly in yesterday's session, upon approaching Kadir(my trainer) asking for tips on what areas I could improve on, he just mentioned that I was doing ok, was making improvement and was definitely better than last week.

Even after hearing those encouraging comments(thanks friends), I still do know that I suck and have a long way to go before I can be considered as of an acceptable standard even for an amateur boxer. This session especially during the bagwork and padwork enlightened me on the importance of having power in punches and highlighted to me VERY OBVIOUSLY that that was what I was lacking badly. I still have some doubts and questions to ask Sifu in regards to padwork and evasions. If only I could contact him on the phone...

P.S had a long rest day today... will blog about it tomorrow as I do have the habit of posting 1 day late. Need the rest, Judo and gym training tomorrow. gdnite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home