††† ||The "GABETULA" files|| †††

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle... who subdues people under me." - Psalms 144:1-3

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Enter The Ring '07 Closing in!

You guessed it from the title;

I will be in the ring once again this coming Saturday, Feb 10th from 6-10pm. This time I will be fighting on the Muaythai Ring at Tanglin CC.

This is really an unexpected oncoming event for me, I have never ever dreamt of stepping into the MT circuit be it Amateur or not.

As a JKD person strongly influenced by Strategy (E.g. Five ways of attack), MT often came across as a 'not-my-cup-of-tea' style due to its "strongman battle likeness" where the stronger of the 2 would remain standing. Alas a trait that is found in many hard styles, one of which would be the world famous Kyokushin Karate.

I have always and will always be a fan of fighting styles that favor strategy over head-on trading of punches and kicks. This is not to say however, that I am not a Full Contact believer.

My point to say is that, My preferred style would be more of a Brains > Brawns.
There is this certain 'Individualism' aka "Freedom of Expression" I see in Boxing that I find lacking in MT.

This is the reason why, even though preferring more tool manipulation and all, I would still rather watch boxing than MT.

Anyway besides the above point, there is this thing about the Traditional Thai culture (Wai Kryu and all) that I really don’t favor over the modern culture seen in other Modern Combat Sports.

So why am I stepping in the ring then despite all this negativities I have for the sport?

Basically, it happened that my JKD sifu, Mark Stewart had to leave for Thailand due to unforeseen circumstances and I figured that if I wanted to get into the cage before I get conscripted, the next best option would be to join the MT class which would definitely give me the conditioning I desire despite the disagreements I had with the head-on style taught generally.

So back on track, I was due to compete in Sanda friendly in December but Alvin who was also competing and supposed to help me with registration, was not updated about the tournament and I missed it without even realizing!

So to cut the long story short, a few weeks later I was offered a place in the upcoming MT tournament and here I am, training like crazy on a 1mth notice ONCE AGAIN.

Anyway, I figured I could still apply my style into the rule set just as I did in Boxing right?

And that my friends, is the story of accepting my first fight scheduled in '07.

Back to training....


--------
Stay tune for the Outcome and next on my Combat Calendar would be my 2nd Boxing Match in March at Combat Academy.


“If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you” - Bruce Lee

1 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is great info to know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home